In December 2018, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education (DME) awarded a $25,000 grant to KIPP DC to support Mayor Bowser’s Safe Passage initiative. KIPP used the grant to convene community events in Safe Passage Priority Areas:
- Congress Heights, Somerset Prep Academy [March 5, 2019]
- Anacostia, Thurgood Marshall Academy [March 28, 2019]
- L’Enfant Plaza, Washington Global [April 11, 2019]
- Minnesota Avenue, D.C. Prep – Benning Campus [April 24, 2019]
- A Citywide Safe Passage Convening was held at KIPP DC College Preparatory [May 15, 2019]
At the citywide event, students honed their Safe Passage recommendations and presented them to a panel of city officials. City officials on the panel included: (1) Paul Kihn, DME; (2) Clinton Lacey, DYRS; (3) Lt. Beau Perrizo, WMATA; (4) Delbert “Del” McFadden, ONSE; (5) Lt. Matthew Domas, MPD
The outcome of the citywide event led to the city officials taking student feedback and ideas and making commitments by agency on how they plan to improve the safety of students.